Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How did you 'discover' Ryan Adams?

11 posts in this topic

Posted

For me, i was a little late to the party compared to those i know, i discovered him through randomly buying both the 'Love is Hell' EP's one day simply because i liked the way they looked [and that was my music-buying criteria way back in those days ...] and instantly was hooked. Don't get me wrong, i had heard him long before this, but only in fleeting little 3-minute moments - i only really discovered him as soon as LIH was released.

What's your story? [it has to be better than mine, surely!]

Posted

The song New York, New York was quite popular years ago and I decided to investigate and see if I liked his other stuff. I'm still investigating and happy with my findings!

Posted

I attended a bible college from '99-'03 (my story is already more lame than yours, Brody). We weren't allowed to listen to "secular" music. We couldn't watch television or see movies. The only radio I listened to was Echoes with John Diliberto on public radio. This was before the internet and file sharing became huge. In other words, I had no idea what was contemporary or cool.

A couple of friends of mine (we were all aspiring songwriters and musicians) would travel all over northeastern Pennsylvania (Scranton area) and visit record stores (a golden age when they still existed!). One of my friends picked up Gold (the 2 disc version - the definitive version) and we were hooked instantly. We covered "When the Stars Go Blue" at our local coffee shop/open mic haunts. When I went home for Thanksgiving break (I'm from Michigan) and bought the album and the single for New York, New York (with "Mara Lisa" and "From Me to You") and a friend burned me a copy of Heartbreaker. I wore those things out. Over the next few months I went back and got all of his Whiskeytown records and from then on I purchased everything he's done the day it was released.

Posted

I attended a bible college from '99-'03 (my story is already more lame than yours, Brody). We weren't allowed to listen to "secular" music. We couldn't watch television or see movies. The only radio I listened to was Echoes with John Diliberto on public radio. This was before the internet and file sharing became huge. In other words, I had no idea what was contemporary or cool.

A couple of friends of mine (we were all aspiring songwriters and musicians) would travel all over northeastern Pennsylvania (Scranton area) and visit record stores (a golden age when they still existed!). One of my friends picked up Gold (the 2 disc version - the definitive version) and we were hooked instantly. We covered "When the Stars Go Blue" at our local coffee shop/open mic haunts. When I went home for Thanksgiving break (I'm from Michigan) and bought the album and the single for New York, New York (with "Mara Lisa" and "From Me to You") and a friend burned me a copy of Heartbreaker. I wore those things out. Over the next few months I went back and got all of his Whiskeytown records and from then on I purchased everything he's done the day it was released.

​Ah man, very descriptive and interesting!

Posted

The song New York, New York was quite popular years ago and I decided to investigate and see if I liked his other stuff. I'm still investigating and happy with my findings!

​May the trend continue, sir!

Posted

Don't remember exactly but I kept hearing "16 Days" and liked it. It was on after that. :) 

Posted

A friend tried to get me into RA with a mix cd and told me to purchase Cold Roses. Except i wasn't feeling it at all. Then i was watching a movie called 'This is 40' in 2012 and RA does a cameo performance of Shining Through the Dark. Completely gobsmacked by it, i ran to the cd rack to pull out Cold Roses and the mix my friend made me and it felt like i was listening to these songs for the first time. The obsession grew very very quickly.

Posted

A friend tried to get me into RA with a mix cd and told me to purchase Cold Roses. Except i wasn't feeling it at all. Then i was watching a movie called 'This is 40' in 2012 and RA does a cameo performance of Shining Through the Dark. Completely gobsmacked by it, i ran to the cd rack to pull out Cold Roses and the mix my friend made me and it felt like i was listening to these songs for the first time. The obsession grew very very quickly.

​Awesome! I remember seeing that movie in the cinema and being gobsmacked when i saw ryan in it!

Posted

Short and lame- Dance All Night was on the soundtrack of Must Love Dogs... the more I dug the more I loved!!

Posted

I was a massive Oasis fan for years. I'd heard Ryan do a live version of Wonderwall on an Oasis website but that was about  it. Then as Oasis started to fade away, I read a review for Rock N Roll. It got 8 out of 10 and it said that "This is the album Oasis should be making." So I bought it the day it came out and by the end of that week I'd bought Gold, Heartbreaker, Demolition and Love Is Hell Pt. 1. It took a while to get into the country sound but Love Is Hell was very easy to get into to.

Posted

I was a massive Oasis fan for years. I'd heard Ryan do a live version of Wonderwall on an Oasis website but that was about  it. Then as Oasis started to fade away, I read a review for Rock N Roll. It got 8 out of 10 and it said that "This is the album Oasis should be making." So I bought it the day it came out and by the end of that week I'd bought Gold, Heartbreaker, Demolition and Love Is Hell Pt. 1. It took a while to get into the country sound but Love Is Hell was very easy to get into to.

​Excellent! I know a few folks who turned to the RA side due to the 'Wonderwall' cover.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0